- An enclosed car attached to a cable mechanically lifted up the side of a mountain; an enclosed ski lift; a cable car.
- The hanging cart in which a glass-cleaning worker stands to clean exterior glass on tall buildings.
- That part of a transporter bridge that carries passengers, vehicles, along the length of the bridge span.
Origin of gondola
- Italian from Old Italian gondula
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Venetian, which likely derives from Byzantine Greek κοντούρα (kontoura, “small tail”).