- a long, narrow boat for a few passengers used on the canals of Venice, having a high, pointed prow and stern and propelled by a single long oar at the stern
- a flat-bottomed river barge
- a railroad freight car with no top and, often, with low sidesalso gondola car
- a cabin suspended under an airship or balloon, for holding the motors, instruments, passengers, etc.
- a car suspended from and moved along a cable, for holding passengers
- a car for riders on a Ferris wheel or other amusement-park ride
Origin of gondolaItalian (Venetian) from Rhaeto-Romanic (dial.) gondolá, to rock