- (idiomatic) To make an all-out effort.
- He'll be the one who goes to the wall when it's needed.
- He's always been willing to go to the wall for his friends.
- That was the one point he was willing to go to the wall on.
- (idiomatic) To fail, to run out of options. (especially of a business)
- To be put aside or forgotten.
- To take an extreme and determined position or measure
From a fight or military retreating until they cannot escape; see have one's back to the wall and retreat to the wall doctrine in common law.