- city in W Germany, on the Main River, in the state of Hessealso Frankfurt am Main
- city in E Germany, on the Oder River, in the state of Brandenburgalso Frankfurt an der Oder
also Frank·furt am Main
A city of west-central Germany on the Main River. Founded in the first century AD by the Romans, it was the virtual capital of Germany from 1816 to 1866. It is now an industrial, commercial, and financial center.x
- (US, Australia) A frankfurter; a hot dog sausage.
- Horne, Geschichte von Frankfurt (4th ed., 1903); H.
- Through the influence of Conrad Wimpina, rector of Frankfurt, Tetzel was created D.D.
- Leuckart, Zur Kenntnis des Generationswechsels and der Parthogenesis bei den Insekten (Frankfurt, 1858); N.
- After visiting Luther at Wittenberg, he settled with his amanuensis William Roy in Cologne, where he had made some progress in printing a 4to edition of his New Testament, when the work was discovered by John Cochlaeus, dean at Frankfurt, who not only got the senate of Cologne to interdict further printing, but warned Henry VIII.
- The 7th corps thereupon drew back to the Franconian Saale, the 8th to ` Frankfurt, and on the 7th of July the Prussian army was massed about Fulda between them.