A summer downpour.
When it starts to rain really really hard, this is an example of a downpour.
- a heavy rain
- They got caught in a downpour without an umbrella and came back soaked.
(third-person singular simple present downpours, present participle downpouring, simple past and past participle downpoured)
down- + pour
- A plus size women's lightweight waterproof jacket will not only keep the chilly air off of you, but it will also prevent you from getting soaked, either in a light rain or a downpour.
- While they aren't considered waterproof and will not typically keep someone dry in a downpour, they are nice to have on a misty day.
- Additionally, if you happen to get caught in a downpour, or a thunderstorm, a cardigan can help remove some of the chill that comes with a temperature drop.
- From these hills which catch the first downpour of the rains from the ocean, the ground falls eastward.
- It is this tropical downpour that fills and floods the rivers flowing into Lake Eyre and those falling into the Darling on its right bank.