- a device used to hold a door open at a desired position or prevent it from closing too forcibly or slamming against a wall
- a thin wooden strip affixed to a frame of a doorway, against which the door closes
- A wedge inserted beneath a door to hold it open at a desired position.
- A weight or spring that prevents a door from slamming.
- A rubber-tipped projection attached to a wall to protect it from the impact of an opening door.
- Any device or object used to halt the motion of a door, as a large or heavy object, a wedge, or some piece of hardware fixed to the floor, door or wall.
- (humorous) A large book, which by implication could be used to stop a door.
- (UK) (in error for doorstep) A thick sandwich.
- (Australia) An interview with a politician or other public figure (apparently informal or spontaneous but often planned), as they enter or leave a building.
- An adorable beanbag kitten that can be either a toy or a doorstop.
- Anyway, he's about as romantic as a doorstop.