a person whose work is opening the door of a building for those who enter or leave, hailing taxicabs, etc.
A man employed to attend the entrance of a hotel, apartment house, or other building.
- The luxury apartment complex comes complete with a 24-hour doorman and concierge, a small gym, a pool, hot tub and a small playroom.
- For example, a doorman that doubles as a security officer will wear a jacket and tailored pants in the winter months but would not be required to wear a jacket during the summer months.
- Any wait staff, doorman, valet or other employee in the service industry knows that tips increase their sometimes meager salaries.
- The rest of the characters in the regular cast of iCarly include other friends, teachers, and the apartment doorman.
- Lenny has been a doorman in Manhattan at the same location for over 20 years.