- Destruction of Habitat: It can erode soils, pollute waterways, decrease biodiversity.
- Reduction in Oxygen: Less and less oxygen is pumped into the environment, which is one of the main causes of global warming.
The definition of deforestation is cutting down and removing all or most of the trees in a forest.
Effects of Deforestation
An example of deforestation is when trees are removed in fast growing portions of South Africa to build houses, for agricultural purposes and to allow for clear grazing for farm animals.
From Latin de + forresta, forestis
- The process of reckless deforestation is perceptible in certain districts.
- The destruction of trees by charcoal-burners has resulted in the almost complete deforestation of the island.
- Mass extinction, deforestation, dead zones in oceans, and on and on and on.
- Under de Quincey's administration the islands prospered; the cultivation of cotton and coffee was then begun, much of the land being deforested for this purpose - a deforestation practically completed when vanilla was introduced.
- Owing to the absence of rivers, the paucity of springs, and the almost complete deforestation, Antigua is subject to frequent droughts, and although the average rainfall is 45.6 in., the variations from year to year are great.