- the act or an instance of talking together; specif.,
- familiar talk; verbal exchange of ideas, opinions, etc.
- an informal conference on a problem or area of interest by representatives of governments, factions, etc.
- sexual intercourse: now only in the legal phrase criminal conversation, i.e., adultery as grounds for divorce or other action
- Archaic manner of living; behavior
- Obs. social intercourse
- Obs. familiarity based on study or use
Origin of conversationMiddle English conversacioun from Old French conversation from Classical Latin conversatio from past participle of conversari: see converse