- the act of canceling
- something canceled
- the mark or marks showing that something is canceled
The definition of cancellation is the act of cancelling something, or saying that something is no longer going to happen.
When you had scheduled a reservation and you decide not to go so you call the restaurant and let them know, the phone call is an example of a cancellation.
Also sp. can·cela′tion
- The act or an instance of canceling.
- A mark or a perforation indicating canceling.
- Something canceled, especially a released accommodation or an unfilled appointment.
- The act, process, or result of cancelling; as, the cancellation of certain words in a contract, or of the contract itself.
- (mathematics) The operation of striking out common factors, in both the dividend and divisor.
- (philately) A postmark that marks a postage stamp so as to prevent its reuse.
- (law) In United States intellectual property law, a proceeding in which an interested party seeks to cancel the registration of a trademark or patent.
cancel + -ation
cancellation - Legal Definition
- The act, or the marks or perforations made in the act, of canceling something.
- A remedy by which a court calls in, annuls, and retains possession of a void or rescinded written legal document because it may cause unnecessary litigation or make a person’s title to property unclear. For example, a court may call in, annul, and retain possession of a void deed to real estate that a party used to falsely claim title to someone else’s real property, in order to prevent any such claims in the future.
- Tight economic times and declining viewership seriously impacted soap operas in 2009 with the cancellation of Y&R's sister CBS soap opera Guiding Light, pay cuts, reduced airtime and veteran soap actors leaving long-term roles.
- Its 2009 cancellation was not due to the fact that the league could not get enough subscribers for its pay-per-view event; it was canceled because it was met with some controversy over a group of fans wanting the Lingerie Bowl to go nude.
- Be sure to ask how much cancellation notice is required in case your travel plans change or fall through, and if there will be additional late fees above the standard boarding charges if you are unable to return when planned.
- On a motion for a new trial on the 10th of November of the same year it was stated that he was furnished with affidavits contradicting the evidence that had been given by Kay and others with respect to the originality of the invention; but the court refused to grant a new trial, on the ground that, whatever might be the fact as to the question of originality, the deficiency in the specification was enough to sustain the verdict, and the cancellation of the patents was ordered a few days afterwards.
- In case of partial destruction, the lessee may, according to circumstances, demand either a diminution of the price, or the cancellation of the lease.