- The illegal business of buying or selling currency or goods banned by a government or subject to governmental control, such as price controls or rationing.
- A place where such illegal business is carried on.
- black′-mar′ket·er black′-mar′ket·eer′
transitive verbblack-mar·ket·ed, black-mar·ket·ing, black-mar·kets
(plural black markets)
(third-person singular simple present black-markets, present participle black-marketing, simple past and past participle black-marketed)
- (intransitive) To participate in a black market.
- He black-marketed as a sideline.
- To sell in a black market.
- He made his living black-marketing goods intended only for tourists.