- (historical) A former name of what is now Botswana, used until 1966
- He did much to advance stellar photography and its use in cataloguing the stars, and he was responsible for the geodetic surveys of Natal and Cape Colony, British Bechuanaland, German S.-W.
- MAFEKING, a town in the British Bechuanaland division of the Cape, 870 m.
- Of the southern boundary of the Bechuanaland protectorate.
- Mafeking is thus an important trading and distributing centre for Bechuanaland and the western Transvaal.
- The headquarters of the administration for the Bechuanaland protectorate are in the town.