- in baseball, a figure expressing the average batting efficiency of a player or team, figured by dividing the number of base hits by the number of official at-bats
- Informal the average level of competence or success reached by a person in any activity
batting averagebatting average
(plural batting averages)
- (cricket) A statistical estimation of the scoring ability of a batsman; equal to the total number of runs scored divided by the number of times out.
- (baseball) A statistical estimation of the hitting ability of a batter; equal to the number of hits divided by the number of official at-bats. Normally expressed as a real number instead of an average despite the name.
- Jones has a .279 batting average.