The definition of avaricious is greedy and money-hungry.
An example or avaricious is someone who charges his friends extra money when paying for a meal.
Immoderately desirous of wealth or gain; greedy.
(comparative more avaricious, superlative most avaricious)
- He showed indeed none of the avaricious temper so common among the politicians of the time.
- Though probably not personally avaricious, he was justly accused of nepotism.
- He promoted navigation and commerce, but was avaricious and deceitful.
- It is clear from Guicciardini's autobiographical memoirs that he was ambitious, calculating, avaricious and power-loving from his earliest years; and in Spain he had no more than an opportunity of studying on a large scale those political vices which already ruled the minor potentates of Italy.
- Licentious and avaricious, he amassed great wealth; and when he died on the 25th of October 1292 he left numerous estates in Shropshire, Worcestershire, Somerset, Kent, Surrey and elsewhere.