- approval, sanction, or commendation
- Obs. proof
The definition of approbation is warm approval or praise.
An example of approbation is the speech given by the college president after the football team earned the state championship.
- An expression of warm approval; praise.
- Official approval.
- Approbation and approval have the same general meaning, assenting to or declaring as good, sanction, commendation; but approbation is stronger and more positive. We may be anxious for the approbation of our friends; but we should be still more anxious for the approval of our own consciences. He who is desirous to obtain universal approbation will learn a good lesson from the fable of the old man and his ass. The work has been examined by several excellent judges, who have expressed their unqualified approval of its plan and execution.(material dates from 1913)
- A murmur of approbation and satisfaction ran through the crowd.
- From all these gentlemen Everett received marks of approbation and confidence.
- Young and Hartley expressed their approbation not less warmly.
- This gratifies the child's love of approbation and keeps up her interest in things.
- Leo feigned for a while to be on their side, but on the 2nd of February 815, in the sanctuary of St Sophia, publicly refused to prostrate himself before the images, with the approbation of the army and of many bishops who were iconoclasts at heart.