- height; esp., the height of a thing above the earth's surface or above sea level
- a high place or region: usually used in pl.
- a high level, rank, etc.
- Astron. the angular height of a planet, star, etc. above the horizon
- the perpendicular distance from the designated base of a figure to its highest point or to the side parallel to the base
- any line segment representing such a distance
Origin of altitudeClassical Latin altitudo from altus, high, origin, originally past participle of alere, to nourish, cause to grow: see old