Origin of a la carteFrench à la carte, literally , by the bill of fare
- The definition of a la carte is a list of items on a menu which are priced separately.
A baked potato on a menu is an example of an a la carte item.
- A la carte is defined as ordering individual side dishes instead of an entree selection.
Ordering chips and a pickle instead of getting a whole meal is an example of ordering a la carte.
a la carte
also a la carte
Origin of a la carteFrench à la carte by the menu
- Alternative form of à la carte.
- (Food and drink) allowing selection from a fixed list of individually priced options shown on the menu
- The restaurant had a huge Ã la carte menu and four specials that day
- By ordering individually priced items from the menu
- We ate Ã la carte as that was most economic