- literally a council of elders
- the supreme council of the ancient Roman state, originally only of patricians but later including the plebeians
- a lawmaking assembly; state council
- the upper house of the legislature of the U.S., or of most of the states of the U.S.
- a similar body in other countries
- a governing or advisory council in a college or university: the Faculty Senate
- the building or hall where a senate meets
Origin of senateMiddle English senat from Old French from Classical Latin senatus from senex, old, aged from Indo-European base an unverified form sen(o)-, old from source Sanskrit sána-, Classical Greek henos, Old Irish sen, old