1770-1827; Ger. composer
- A surname, usually applying to Ludwig van Beethoven
- The development of pianoforte technique since Beethoven has been in some ways even more revolutionizing than that of the brass instruments; and pianoforte instrumentation, both in solo and in chamber-music, is a study for a lifetime.
- He often thought, If Beethoven or Chopin had centuries to compose music, imagine the treasures we would have.
- Beethoven almost always has 2 flutes, and invariably 2 clarinets.
- Beethoven, we know, lost sympathy with his early works as he grew older; but that was because his later works absorbed his interest, not because his early works misrepresented his ideals.
- Beethoven was trained in the greatest and most advanced musical tradition of his time.