A car zooms down the road.
- Zoom describes a lens with the ability to magnify a subject.
An example of zoom is a Nikon Coolpix L120; a camera with a zoom lens.
- The definition of a zoom is a low humming sound or the act of making this sound.
An example of a zoom is the sound a humming bird makes as it flies.
- Zoom is defined as to make or move with a buzzing sound.
An example of zoom is make the sound of a finely tuned car while driving.
- to make a loud, low-pitched, buzzing or humming sound
- to move with a zooming sound
- to move or go quickly or suddenly
- to climb in an airplane suddenly and sharply at an angle greater than normal, using the energy of momentum
- to rise rapidly: prices zoomed
- to change the focal length of a zoom lens so as to change the apparent distance of the object being viewed
Origin of zoomechoic
- the act of zooming
- a zooming sound
- zoom lens
- the effect of a camera moving toward or away from a subject by using a zoom lens
- a shot using this effect
verbzoomed, zoom·ing, zooms
- a. To make a continuous low-pitched buzzing or humming sound: I heard a plane zooming overhead.b. To move while making such a sound: couldn't hear as the motorcycle zoomed past.
- To move rapidly: comets that zoom through space.
- To increase suddenly and dramatically: Stock prices zoomed in early trading.
- To act or proceed swiftly and energetically: zoomed through the novel in a day.
- To simulate movement rapidly away from or toward a subject using a zoom lens or other optical device.
- Computers To cause text or other graphics in a window or frame to appear larger on the screen.
- The act or sound of zooming.
- A zoom lens.
Origin of zoomImitative
(third-person singular simple present zooms, present participle zooming, simple past and past participle zoomed)
1892 verb, 1918 noun, 1942 interjection. Originally imitative of a sound.
zoom - Computer Definition
To change from a close-up view to a distant view (zoom out) or from a distant view to a close-up view (zoom in). An application may provide fixed or variable levels of zoom, and a graphics card may also have built-in zoom capability. All cameras have some zoom capability (see optical zoom and digital zoom).