- the forked clavicle in front of the breastbone of most birds; furcula: so called from the custom whereby two persons make wishes and snap a dried wishbone in two, the longer fragment being regarded as a sign that the holder's wish will be fulfilled
- ⌂ Football an offensive formation in which the fullback lines up directly behind the quarterback and the two halfbacks line up to the rear and on either side of the fullback
- The forked bone anterior to the breastbone of most birds, formed by the fusion of the clavicles.
- Football An offensive formation in which the halfbacks are positioned behind and to the left and right of the fullback.
Origin of wishboneFrom the superstition that when two people pull the bone apart a wish will be fulfilled for the person who retains the longer piece.
- A forked bone between the neck and breast of a bird consisting chiefly of the two clavicles fused at their median or lower end, regarded as a lucky charm in some countries.
- (nautical) A spar in two parts, between which a sail is hoisted, the wishbone extending its clew.
- (nautical) Any sailing vessel rigged with a wishbone.