transitive verb wiped, wiping
- to rub or pass over with a cloth, mop, etc., as for cleaning or drying
- to clean or dry in this manner: wipe the dishes
- to rub or pass (a cloth, the hand, etc.) over something
- to apply by wiping: wipe oil over the surface
- to remove by or as by wiping: with away, off, up, out
- to form (a joint in lead pipe) by applying liquid solder and rubbing with a leather pad, greased cloth, etc.
ME wipen < OE wipian, akin to OHG wīfan, to wind around < IE *weib-, to turn, twist, turning motion: see vibrate