waken definition by Webster's New World
- to become awake; come to one's senses after sleep or a state like sleep
- to become active, animated, or alive after inactivity or dormancy
Origin: Middle English waknen ; from Old English wacnian, wæcnan, to become awake, akin to Old Norse vakna, to waken: for Indo-European base see wake
- to cause to wake; awake
- to urge or stir into action or activity; arouse; excite
- wakener noun
waken definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb wak·ened, wak·en·ing, wak·ens verb, transitive
- To rouse from sleep; awake: The noise wakened me.
- To rouse from a quiescent or inactive state; stir.
Origin: Middle English wakenen, from Old English wǽcnan; see weg- in Indo-European roots.
- wakˈen·er noun