- The definition of a vendetta is a lingering grudge or feeling of hatred for someone, such as a blood feud where the family of someone who had been killed seeks revenge on the family of the killer or his family.
When you hold a grudge against someone for a long time, this is an example of a vendetta.
vendetta definition by Webster's New World
- a feud in which the relatives of a murdered or wronged person seek vengeance on the murderer or wrongdoer or on members of that person's family
- any bitter quarrel or feud
Origin: Italian ; from Classical Latin vindicta, vengeance: see vindictive
- vendettist noun
vendetta definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A feud between two families or clans that arises out of a slaying and is perpetuated by retaliatory acts of revenge; a blood feud.
- A bitter, destructive feud.
Origin: Italian, from Latin vindicta, revenge; see vindictive.