- Ure is defined as the act or the result of an act.
An example of ure used as a suffix is in the word "torture," which means the act of brutally abusing someone.
-ure definition by Webster's New World
- act, process, or result: exposure
- agent, instrument, or scope of
- state of being ____ed: composure
- office, rank, or collective body: legislature
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin -ura
-ure definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Act; process; condition: erasure.
- a. Function; office: judicature.b. Body performing a function: legislature.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin -ūra.