Dial. on or against the side of: mainly in the phrase upside the (or someone's) head
- the upper side or part
- appreciation or gain, as on an investment: often used attributively
- any or all of the benefits or advantages
- The upper side or portion.
- An advantageous aspect: the upsides and downsides of home ownership.
- An upward tendency, as in business profitability or in the prices of a stock.
On: “If you still didn't get it, well, sometimes you have to hit people upside the head &ellipsis; to get their attention” (Howie Carr).
- (informal) On the top of.
upside - Investment & Finance Definition
The amount of upward price movement that a stock or investment may be able to reach under optimal conditions. Analysts speak about the upside potential of a stock.