(-kən fôr′mə tē)
noun pl. unconformities
- a lack of conformity; inconsistency; incongruity
- a break in the continuity of rock strata in contact, separating younger from older rocks and usually resulting from erosion of the surface of the older bed before the younger bed was laid down
- the surface of contact between such strata
See unconformity in American Heritage Dictionary 4
noun pl. un·con·for·mi·ties
- Lack of conformity; nonconformity.
- Geology A surface between successive strata representing a missing interval in the geologic record of time, and produced either by an interruption in deposition or by the erosion of depositionally continuous strata followed by renewed deposition.
Learn more about unconformity