any small, rounded projection or process; specif.,
- Bot. any of the wartlike growths on the roots of some plants
- Anat. a knoblike elevation, as on a bone
- Med. any abnormal hard nodule or swelling; specif., the typical nodular lesion of tuberculosis
Origin of tubercleClassical Latin tuberculum, diminutive of tuber: see tuber
- A small rounded projecting part or outgrowth, such as a wartlike excrescence on the roots of some leguminous plants or a knoblike process in the skin or on a bone.
- Medicine A nodule or swelling, especially a mass of lymphocytes and epithelioid cells forming the characteristic lesion of tuberculosis.
Origin of tubercleLatin tūberculum diminutive of tūber lump ; see tuber .
- (anatomy) A round nodule, small eminence, or warty outgrowth, especially those found on bones for the attachment of a muscle or ligament or small elevations on the surface of a tooth.
- (botany) A small rounded wartlike protuberance of the roots of some leguminous plants; the lip of certain orchids, cacti.
- (pathology) A small rounded nodule forming the characteristic lesion of tuberculosis.