The definition of a triumvirate is a three person or position government or other system of authority.
An example of a triumvirate was the Han Dynasty consisting of Huo Guang, Jin Midi and Shangguan Jie who ruled in China.
- the office, functions, or term of a triumvir
- government by three persons or by a coalition of three parties
- any association of three in authority
- any group or set of three
Origin of triumvirateClassical Latin triumviratus
- Government by triumvirs.
- The office or term of a triumvir.
- A body or group of triumvirs.
- An association or a group of three. Also called troika .
Origin of triumvirateLatin triumvirātus from triumvirī board of three ; see triumvir .
From Latin triumvÄ«rÄtus.