- The definition of tremulous is quivering, timid or nervous.
When you give a quivering and uncertain smile because you are nervous, this is an example of a smile that would be described as tremulous.
- trembling; quivering; palpitating
- fearful; timid; timorous
- marked by or showing trembling or quivering: tremulous excitement, tremulous handwriting
Origin of tremulousClassical Latin tremulus ; from tremere, to tremble
- a. Marked by trembling, quivering, or shaking: tremulous hands.b. Marked by a rapid varying between pitches or tones: a tremulous voice.
- Timid or fearful: “the tremulous daughter who never left her father's house” (Margo Jefferson).
Origin of tremulousFrom Latin tremulus, from tremere, to tremble.
(comparative more tremulous, superlative most tremulous)
From Latin tremulus, from tremō (“I shake”). Cognate to Ancient Greek τρέμω (trémō).