- a duty or tax on ships, based on tons carried
- a charge per ton on cargo or freight on a canal, at a port, etc.
- the total amount of shipping of a country or port, calculated in tons
- the carrying capacity of a ship, calculated in tons
- weight in tons
Origin: ME < MFr: see tun & -age
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The number of tons of water that a ship displaces when afloat.
- The capacity of a merchant ship in units of 100 cubic feet.
- A duty or charge per ton on cargo, as at a port or canal.
- The total shipping of a country or port, figured in tons, with reference to carrying capacity.
- Weight measured in tons.
Origin: ton + -age. Sense 3, Middle English, from Old French, from tonne, tun; see tonne.