- a fixed or adjustable fin on the rear of a rocket, car, etc.sometimes written tail′fin·
- Zool. a movable fin that forms the tail of a fish, the fluke of a whale, etc.
- A fin at the posterior part of the body of a fish, crustacean, whale, or other aquatic animal.
- An ornamental projection shaped like a fin on the rear fender of an automobile. Also called fin 1.
- A fin at the tail end of an aerodynamic or hydrodynamic object such as an airplane or surfboard, used to provide directional control or stability.
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
(plural tail fins)
- Alternative spelling of tailfin.