- capable of being sustained
- designating, of, or characterized by a practice that sustains a given condition, as economic growth, or a human population without destroying or depleting natural resources, polluting the environment, etc.: sustainable agriculture
- governed or maintained by, or produced as a result of, such practices: sustainable growth
The definition of sustainable is something that can be continued or a practice that maintains a condition without harming the environment.
An example of sustainable is the practice of reduce, reuse and recycle.
- Capable of being sustained.
- Capable of being continued with minimal long-term effect on the environment: sustainable agriculture.
(comparative more sustainable, superlative most sustainable)
sustain +"Ž -able
- However, to be sustainable, agriculture must provide the farmer with a living.
- Part B outlines the new policy, which promotes sustainable agriculture, and Part C focuses on policy implementation.
- Resolving the VAT anomaly remains the most obvious means of promoting more sustainable approaches to the housing stock.
- With new emerging technologies and improvements of existing renewable energy sources, dependency upon foreign oil and other fossil fuels that pollute the planet can eventually be replaced with clean sustainable energy sources.
- Environmentally friendly - it is important that any new flooring materials are environmentally friendly and this means that it comes from a sustainable source and with minimum processing using harmful chemicals or procedures.