- The definition of surprising is amazing or causing shock.
An example of something surprising is a house with Christmas decorations in the middle of August.
surprising definition by Webster's New World
- surprisingly adverb
Variant of surprise
- to come upon suddenly or unexpectedly; take unawares
- to attack or capture suddenly and without warning
- to cause to feel wonder or astonishment by being unexpected
- to present (someone) unexpectedly with a gift, etc.
- to cause by some unexpected action to do or say something unintended: to surprise someone into an admission
- to bring out or elicit by such means: to surprise an admission from someone
Origin: Middle English surprysen ; from Old French surpris, past participle of sorprendre, to surprise, take napping ; from sur- (see sur-) plush prendre, to take (see prize)
- Now Rare the act of surprising or taking unawares
- an unexpected seizure or attack
- the state of being surprised; feeling aroused by something unusual or unexpected; wonder or astonishment
- something that surprises because unexpected, unusual, etc.