The definition of surprising is amazing or causing shock.
An example of something surprising is a house with Christmas decorations in the middle of August.
causing surprise; amazing
- Present participle of surprise.
- The action of the verb to surprise.
(comparative more surprising, superlative most surprising)
- That is or are a surprise.
- A surprising number of people attended the rally.
- That was certainly a surprising turn of events!
- "Hey," Weller said, his tone conveyed a surprising note of sympathy.
- It is not surprising that we are taking awhile to get it right.
- Winston crossed over to Baratto with surprising speed and grabbed him by the collar, nearly lifting him off the ground.
- Fumago, Antennaria is not surprising, and the leaves of limes are often black with them.