- a person or thing that snaps
- pl. -·pers or -·per
- ⌂ snapping turtle
- any of a family (Lutjanidae) of percoid fishes inhabiting most warm seas; esp., the red snapper
- the climactic, often surprising or shocking part of a story, speech, etc.
- a. One that snaps.b. A snapping turtle.
- pl. snapper or snap·pers a. Any of numerous marine fishes of the family Lutjanidae of tropical and subtropical coastal waters worldwide, many of which are important food fishes.b. A porgy (Pagrus auratus) of the Indo-Pacific region, having a pinkish body with spiny fins and valued as a food and game fish.
- One who, or that which, snaps.
- a snapper-up of trifles
- the snapper of a whip
- Any of approximately 100 different species of fish.
- (Ireland, slang) A (human) baby.
- 1990, Roddy Doyle, The Snapper.
- (American football) The player who snaps the ball to start the play.
- (US) Small, paper-wrapped item containing a minute quantity of explosive composition coated on small bits of sand, which explodes noisily when thrown onto a hard surface.
- (slang) One who takes snaps; a photographer.
- (US, informal) The snapping turtle.
- The green woodpecker, or yaffle.
- A snap beetle.