- to heat (a liquid) above its boiling point without vaporizing it
- to heat (steam not in contact with water) beyond its saturation point, so that a drop in temperature will not cause reconversion to water
the number of degrees by which the temperature of superheated steam exceeds the temperature of the steam at its saturation point
transitive verbsu·per·heat·ed, su·per·heat·ing, su·per·heats
- To heat excessively; overheat.
- To heat (steam or other vapor not in contact with its own liquid) beyond its saturation point at a given pressure.
- To heat (a liquid) above its boiling point without causing vaporization.
- The amount by which a vapor is superheated.
- The heat imparted during the process of superheating.
(third-person singular simple present superheats, present participle superheating, simple past and past participle superheated)