- The definition of a suitor is someone who is pursuing a romantic relationship with another.
A man who is trying to get a woman to date him is an example of a suitor.
suitor definition by Webster's New World
- a person who requests, petitions, or entreats
- a person who sues at law
- a man courting or wooing a woman
- a corporation, investor group, etc. seeking to acquire a company, as by a takeover
Origin: Middle English sutere ; from Anglo-French seutor ; from Classical Latin secutor ; from secutus, past participle of sequi, to follow: see sequent
suitor definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A man who is courting a woman.
- A person who makes a petition or request.
- Law A person who sues in court; a plaintiff; a petitioner.
- A person or group seeking to purchase controlling interest in a company.
Origin: Middle English, plaintiff, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin secūtor, follower, from secūtus, past participle of sequī, to follow; see sekw-1 in Indo-European roots.
suitor - Business Definition
suitor - Investment & Finance Definition
suitor - Legal Definition