- The definition of a suitor is someone who is pursuing a romantic relationship with another.
A man who is trying to get a woman to date him is an example of a suitor.
- a person who requests, petitions, or entreats
- a person who sues at law
- a man courting or wooing a woman
- a corporation, investor group, etc. seeking to acquire a company, as by a takeover
Origin of suitorMiddle English sutere ; from Anglo-French seutor ; from Classical Latin secutor ; from secutus, past participle of sequi, to follow: see sequent
- A man who is courting a woman.
- A person who makes a petition or request.
- Law A person who sues in court; a plaintiff; a petitioner.
- A person or entity trying to acquire a controlling interest in a company, as by purchasing sufficient shares of its stock.
Origin of suitorMiddle English, plaintiff, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin secūtor, follower, from secūtus, past participle of sequī, to follow; see sekw-1 in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present suitors, present participle suitoring, simple past and past participle suitored)
- To play the suitor; to woo; to make love.
suitor - Legal Definition