- Present participle of sue.
(countable and uncountable, plural suings)
- The act of one who sues for something.
Variant of sue
transitive verbsued, suing
- to appeal to; petition; beseech
- Archaic to be a suitor of; woo
- to petition (a court) for legal redress
- to bring civil action against or prosecute in a court of law in seeking justice or redress of wrongs
- to carry (an action) through to its final decision
Origin of sueMiddle English suen ; from Old French sivre, suir ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form sequere, for Classical Latin sequi, to follow: see sequent
- to make an appeal; petition; plead (for or to)
- Archaic to pay suit; woo
- to institute legal proceedings in court; bring suit
to apply for and receive from a court (a writ or other legal process)