The definition of subtractive is involving subtraction, or capable of being subtracted.
An example of something subtractive is taking 2 from 6.
- tending to subtract
- capable of or involving subtraction
- that is to be subtracted; marked with the minus sign (?)
Origin of subtractiveMedieval Latin subtractivus
- Producing or involving subtraction.
- a. Of or being a color produced by light passing through or reflecting off a colorant, such as a filter or pigment, that absorbs certain wavelengths and transmits or reflects others. colorb. Of or being any of the primary colors cyan, magenta, or yellow.
- Of or being a photographic process that produces a positive image by superposing or mixing substances that selectively absorb colored light.