- a person who strikes; specif.,
- a worker who is on strike
- an assistant who wields the heavy sledgehammer for a blacksmith
- a thing that strikes, as the clapper in a bell, the striking device in a clock, etc.
- U.S. Army an enlisted man doing extra-duty work for an officer for extra pay
- U.S. Navy an enlisted man who is working to qualify for a rating
- Soccer the forward and main scorer of a soccer team
- One who strikes, as an employee on strike against an employer.
- One that strikes, as the clapper in a bell or the firing pin in a gun.
- a. A harpoon.b. One who uses a harpoon; a harpooner.
- An enlisted person in usually intensive training for a naval technical rating.
- Sports A forward on a soccer team.
- An individual who is on strike.
- Someone or something that hits someone or something else.
- (soccer) One of the players on a team in football (soccer) in the row nearest to the opposing team's goal, who are therefore principally responsible for scoring goals.
- (baseball, slang, 1800s) The batter.
- (cricket) The batsman who is currently facing the bowler and defending his wicket.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
strike +"Ž -er