- a person who strikes; specif.,
- a worker who is on strike
- an assistant who wields the heavy sledgehammer for a blacksmith
- a thing that strikes, as the clapper in a bell, the striking device in a clock, etc.
- U.S. Army an enlisted man doing extra-duty work for an officer for extra pay
- U.S. Navy an enlisted man who is working to qualify for a rating
- Soccer the forward and main scorer of a soccer team
- One who strikes, as an employee on strike against an employer.
- One that strikes, as the clapper in a bell or the firing pin in a gun.
- a. A harpoon.b. One who uses a harpoon; a harpooner.
- An enlisted person in usually intensive training for a naval technical rating.
- Sports A forward on a soccer team.
- An individual who is on strike.
- Someone or something that hits someone or something else.
- (soccer) One of the players on a team in football (soccer) in the row nearest to the opposing team's goal, who are therefore principally responsible for scoring goals.
- (baseball, slang, 1800s) The batter.
- (cricket) The batsman who is currently facing the bowler and defending his wicket.