- Stratification is the dividing of people or things into different groups or layers.
When a society becomes rigidly divided along class lines and people of upper classes move further and further away from lower classes, this is an example of social stratification.
- the process of stratifying or the state of being stratified
- a stratified arrangement or appearance
- Geol. a structure characterized by a succession of tabular layers, beds, strata, etc.
- stratificational adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Formation or deposition of layers, as of rock or sediments.b. The condition of being stratified.
- A layered configuration.
stratification - Cultural Definition
The process by which materials form or are deposited in layers, as in sedimentary rocks and some igneous rocks.
- The atmosphere and the ocean also exhibit stratification, with the warmer air or water occupying the upper layers.
stratification - Medical Definition
stratification - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.