- Stratification is the dividing of people or things into different groups or layers.
When a society becomes rigidly divided along class lines and people of upper classes move further and further away from lower classes, this is an example of social stratification.
stratification definition by Webster's New World
- the process of stratifying or the state of being stratified
- a stratified arrangement or appearance
- Geol. a structure characterized by a succession of tabular layers, beds, strata, etc.
- stratificational adjective
stratification definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Formation or deposition of layers, as of rock or sediments.b. The condition of being stratified.
- A layered configuration.
stratification - Cultural Definition
The process by which materials form or are deposited in layers, as in sedimentary rocks and some igneous rocks.
- The atmosphere and the ocean also exhibit stratification, with the warmer air or water occupying the upper layers.
stratification - Medical Definition
stratification - Science Definition