- Cricket to play only a defensive game in order to gain a draw: said of a batsman
- Chiefly Brit. to obstruct a debate, negotiation, etc.; esp., to filibuster
- Informal to behave in an obstructive, uncooperative manner, as by refusing to answer, withholding information, etc. when questioned
verbstone·walled, stone·wall·ing, stone·walls
- Informal a. To engage in delaying tactics; stall: “stonewalling for time in order to close the missile gap” ( James Reston )b. To refuse to answer or cooperate.
- Sports To play defensively rather than trying to score in cricket.