Variant of sphinx
- Gr. Myth.
- a winged monster with a lion's body and the head and breasts of a woman
- a sphinx at Thebes that strangles passersby who are unable to guess its riddle
- any ancient Egyptian statue or figure having, typically, the body of a lion and the head of a man, ram, or hawk
- a huge statue having the body of a lion and the head of a man, at Gîza, near Cairo, Egypt
- a person who is difficult to know or understand
- Zool. hawk moth
Origin: Middle English spynx from Classical Latin sphinx from Gr, literally , the strangler from sphingein: see sphincter
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.