- Special effects are visual illusions in a film or image, or the art of creating such illusions.
An example of special effects is making it seem that a person is falling off a mountain and then making that person seem to scale back up the mountain.
- artificial visual effects, either realistic or fantastic, used to create illusions in films
- the art or work of creating these illusions
- the complex mechanical devices and photographic techniques used to produce the effects
- plural form of special effect