The definition of social science is the study of people and their relationships and interactions in society.
Branches of Social Science
- Anthropology - the study of the cultural, social, and physical development of humans
- Economics - the study of the ways in which a society deals with money and the availability of goods
- History - the study of man’s past and his decisions in order to find relationships between the events and causes for them.
- Political science - the study of the processes and principles of government and other political institutions
- Psychology - the study of the mind’s functions as they relate to one’s physical and social environment
- Sociology - the study of of social behavior and societies
- Education - the study of how people gain knowledge
- Geography - the study of the Earth and the way humans are dispersed on it
- Law - the study of the rules that society lives by and how they are formed or influenced by popular beliefs
- Linguistics - the study of the structure of language, its syntax, phonology, semantics, phonetics, morphology, and the nature of language and its variations
- Criminology - the study of the criminal behavior of both individuals and of society
- Archaeology - the study of past civilizations, with information gleaned from material remains, such as, artifacts, buildings, graves, etc
- Religion - the relationship between humans and God or gods
An example of social science is a group of anthropologists digging up clay water pots from an ancient Egyptian marketplace.
- the study of people living together in groups, families, etc., and their customs, activities, etc.
- any of several fields of study, as economics, political science, or anthropology, dealing with the structure of society and the activity of its members
- social scientist
- The study of human society and of individual relationships in and to society.
- A scholarly or scientific discipline that deals with such study, generally regarded as including sociology, psychology, anthropology, economics, political science, and history.
- social scientist social scientist
(plural social sciences)
- attributive form of social science
- social-science subjects