- The definition of a snail is a small animal with a distinct head whose body is mostly enclosed by a shell and moves slowly using one muscular foot.
An example of a snail is escargot.
snail definition by Webster's New World
- any of a large number of slow-moving gastropods living on land or in water and having a spiral protective shell: some kinds are used as food
- any lazy, slow-moving person or animal
Origin: Middle English snaile ; from Old English snægl, akin to German dialect, dialectal schnägel, Old Norse snigill ; from Indo-European base an unverified form sneg-, to creep from source snake, sneak
- snaillike adjective
snail definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of numerous aquatic or terrestrial mollusks of the class Gastropoda, typically having a spirally coiled shell, broad retractile foot, and distinct head.
- A slow-moving, lazy, or sluggish person.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English snǽgl.