- The definition of a shunt is a channel created by a surgeon to allow flow between organs, or the act of switching or changing.
- An example of a shunt is a heart shunt to improve blood flow in the heart.
- An example of a shunt is to move to another track.
- Shunt is defined as to turn to another side, or to switch tracks.
An example of shunt is to move to another lane.
shunt definition by Webster's New World
- to move or turn to one side; turn aside or out of the way
- to shift or switch, as a train, car, etc. from one track to another
- Elec. to divert or be diverted by a shunt: said of a current
- to provide or connect with a shunt
Origin: Middle English schunten ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps or akin to shun
- the act of shunting
- switch ()
- Elec. a conductor connecting two points in a circuit in parallel so that an additional pathway is created for the current
- Med. an abnormal natural channel or a surgically created one allowing flow from one organ or pathway to another
- shunter noun
shunt definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or process of turning aside or moving to an alternate course.
- A railroad switch.
- Electricity A low-resistance connection between two points in an electric circuit that forms an alternative path for a portion of the current. Also called bypass.
- Medicine A passage between two natural body channels, such as blood vessels, especially one created surgically to divert or permit flow from one pathway or region to another; a bypass.
- To turn or move aside or onto another course: shunting traffic around an accident.
- To evade by putting aside or ignoring: urgent problems that society can no longer shunt aside.
- To switch (a train or car) from one track to another.
- Electricity To provide or divert (current) by means of a shunt.
- Medicine To divert or permit flow of (a body fluid) from one pathway or region to another by surgical means.
- To move or turn aside.
- Electricity To become diverted by means of a shunt. Used of a circuit.
Origin: Middle English shunten, to flinch.
- shuntˈer noun
shunt - Computer Definition
To divert, switch or bypass.
shunt - Medical Definition