- any system of abbreviated writing using quickly made symbols to represent letters, words, and phrases; stenography
- a concise way of describing or referring to something
- any word, phrase, etc. used in this way
using or written in shorthand
- A system of rapid handwriting employing symbols to represent words, phrases, and letters.
- A system, form, or instance of abbreviated or formulaic reference: “The classical error is to regard a scientific law as only a shorthand for its instances” (Jacob Bronowski).