- The definition of a shortcut is a faster way of accomplishing something or getting somewhere.
When you find a shorter distance between your home and work by taking back streets, this is an example of a situation where you use a shortcut.
- A more direct route than the customary one.
- A means of saving time or effort.
Origin of shortcutFrom cut, direct route.
- A path between two points that is faster than the commonly used paths.
- A method to accomplish something that omits one or more steps.
- (computing, in the Microsoft family of operating systems) A symlink (symbolic file link); especially, one that appears as an icon.
- There are shortcuts to some of my favourite applications on my desktop.
- A keyboard shortcut - a combination of keystrokes that provides easier access to a command or operation
- cut short
shortcut - Computer Definition
(1) In Windows, a shortcut is an icon that points to a program or data file. Shortcuts can be placed on the desktop or stored in other folders, and double clicking a shortcut is the same as double clicking the original file. However, deleting a shortcut does not remove the original file. In the Mac, a shortcut is called an "alias." See Win Shortcuts.
(2) In the Mac, a shortcut is a keyboard command that activates some function. For example, pressing F12 displays the Dashboard widgets. Keyboard shortcuts are configured in the Keyboard Preferences panel.
Variant of shortcut
- a shorter way to get to the same place
- any way of saving time, effort, expense, etc.