Origin of shivearlier chiv, probably from Romany chiv, blade
transitive verbshivved, shiv·ving, shivs
Origin of shivProbably Romani chiv blade
- A knife, especially a makeshift one fashioned from something not normally used as a weapon (like a plastic spoon or a toothbrush).
- A particular woody by-product of processing flax or hemp.
- (computing) A shim, i.e. a small library that transparently intercepts and modifies calls to an API, usually for compatibility purposes.
(third-person singular simple present shivs, present participle shivving, simple past and past participle shivved)
- To stab someone with a shiv.
- (by extension) To stab someone with anything not normally used as a stabbing weapon.