- a Spanish fortified wine varying in color from light yellow to dark brown and in flavor from very dry to sweet
- any similar wine made elsewhere
Origin of sherrytaken as singular of earlier sherris, after Xeres (now Jerez), Spain, where first made
- A fortified Spanish wine ranging from very dry to sweet and from amber to brown.
- A similar wine made elsewhere.
Origin of sherryAlteration of sherris (taken as pl.), after Xeres, (Jerez), Spain.
(usually uncountable, plural sherries)
- (uncountable) A fortified wine produced in Jerez de la Frontera in Spain, or a similar wine produced elsewhere.
- A variety of sherry.
- They produce several quality sherries.
- A glass of sherry.
- Would you like a sherry?
- A female given name, from the sherry wine, or a variant of Cheri.